Friday, January 10, 2020

Nancy Drew: The Secret of Mirror Bay


    "Aunt Eloise Drew invites Nancy and her friends to Mirror Bay Bide-A-Wee cabin near Cooperstown, New York, for a visit and a chance to solve the mystery of the woman who glides across the water.
    Upon the arrival Nancy becomes mixed up in a vacation hoax because she resembles the young woman involved, and is nearly arrested for fraud.
    On the wooded mountain near the cabin further exciting events await Nancy and the other girls. There in the deep forest, a weird luminescent green sorcerer appears and threatens to cast an evil spell on anyone investigating his strange activities.
    In a dangerous twist of circumstances Nancy finds that solving one mystery helps to solve another.    What happens when the young detective and her friends uncover a cleverly concealed criminal operation makes thrilling reading."

    This is the last Nancy Drew book I'm reading for the first time. After this I will have read all 56 books of the original series. This is really big to me. When I was little I use to dream about having the whole series and having read them all. It took a long time to make it happen but I'll have finally done it and it just feels like I've accomplished something for my childhood self.

    Ok enough being sappy! The summary doesn't make this book sound very interesting. The two books before this one, Mysterious Mannequin and Crooked Bannister, are so totally weird (a living mannequin and an attack robot) that I am curious to see if this one is weird too. But the summary mentions a "luminescent green sorcerer" so I would stake my money on yes, this book is going to be weird as heck.

- When Nancy tells Bess and George about the trip to Mirror Bay the girls ask when they are to leave to which Nancy says "tomorrow morning". That is quite short notice.

- Of course Nancy is the one who happens to look just like a wanted crook. It's never George or Bess.

- The conversations in this book are quite awkward. They're very straight to the point and remind me of the dialogue in the Nancy Drew games.

- This book has a lot of words that seem out of place: instantaneous, infinitesimal, solicitousness.
These words seem out of place in a children's book . Nancy Drew books are usually kept to a simpler language.

- The scene where Nancy rescues a woman from drowning is much more intense than the average Nancy Drew rescue. The woman begins to drown, ceases breathing, and Nancy has to perform CPR.

- I found it annoying that the price that Nancy paid for the valentine wasn't listed, it just said she paid a lot plus $10 on top of that.


- The mystery of the "sorcerer" seems strange. I guess the mystery that Nancy wants to solve is why the man is there and scaring people away. Nancy believes it's because the mysterious Sam and Mike are concealing something farther in the woods but she doesn't really speculate or have a clue what it could be. She mentions that her criminal look-a-like could be hiding there but doesn't really seem too eager to find out. Also none of them seem to take Bess' attempted kidnapping very serious.

- After encountering the mysterious glowing monster in the woods the gang spreads out around it but when they close in on it, it vanishes before their eyes. Dave explains this by saying the "monster" was probably wearing a special suit which glowed on one side and was dark on the other and that while they were encircling them the "monster" had taken off the suit, reversed it, and ran away. How could someone do all of that in plain site of 6 people who were circling them and have none of them notice? This book doesn't make any sense.

- The cliffhangers in this book are either very tame or non existent. I wonder if they were thinking about doing away with them.

- Ned decided to paint the rented sailboat which seems really inappropriate.

    I stopped taking notes on this book because it was too ridiculous. It actually kind of reminded me of The Flying Saucer Mystery which is a horrible, horrible book. Just absolutely terrible. So that kind of shows how much I enjoyed this one.
    However I do have to say the cover artwork is fascinating. Its the most unique and different one of the series and it really has a mysterious element to it.

    And now that's it, I've officially read the Nancy Drew series!  I own 9 more Nancy Drew books that I haven't re-read yet but I'm almost positive I'm going to keep them all so I think I'll postpone reading them for the time being. I have a ton of other books I'm more eager to get to at the moment. So I guess we are done with Nancy for now. Next up, Vicki Barr! 


No comments:

Post a Comment