Friday, November 8, 2019

Nancy Drew: The Mystery of the Fire Dragon


    "Nancy Drew is called to New York City by her Aunt Eloise to solve a missing-person case. The granddaughter of her elderly Chinese neighbor, Mr. Soong, has been kidnapped. The search is on, first by disguising Nancy's friend George Fayne as the missing Chi Che, and then pursuing a lead at Chi Che's place of employment, a book store, where Nancy encounters its suspicious owner, Mr Stromberg. A series of clues leads the girls to Hong Kong, where Nancy's boyfriend, Ned Nickerson, joins the action" [x]

    I've only read this once before and I did not like it however I don't remember anything about it.

    I've been terrible at writing reviews for the last few books I've read and this one is starting quite late into the book.

- I decided to do a quick research on Kowloon, which is where Nancy and the gang stays, and it was quite interesting. The hotel Nancy stays at, The Peninsula, is still up and operating and has an interesting history in itself. The Kai Tak airport is no longer in existence but it was the reason for the 3 story buildings Nancy comments on; the skyline was kept low for the planes.

- Nancy is so stupid for having gotten on the plane with the girl claiming to be Chi Che. It was clearly a trap as there was no reason Chi Che couldn't have gotten off the plane to talk to Nancy.

- While walking down the street of Kam Tin Nancy remarks that there's nothing to suggest Chi Che is being held prisoner there.     what did Nancy expect? A giant sign saying "Chi Che Soong is definitely not being held prisoner inside this building, nuhuh, no way, never even heard of her so don't investigate in here, ok?".

- I like that Ned has learned Cantonese and translates for Nancy. It's like Mr. Drew says at the beginning of the book, Ned's knowledge of Cantonese will help him career-wise (I don't know why I care, it's not like Ned's a real person who needs a career lol).

- I enjoyed Ned being around without Burt and Dave. I don't mind all three boys being there if the mystery is close to Emerson such as in The Phantom of Pine Hill but I can't stand when all three boys travel to/with the girls. I also liked that Ned had made Chinese friends whom go on dates with Bess and George.

    Overall I really enjoyed this book. My opinion of it has completely changed since my first reading. 



2 comments:

  1. Was this the book where Nancy was knocked unconscious when someone smashed a vase over her head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't quite remember as I read it years ago.

      Delete