Friday, February 7, 2020

Vicki Barr: Behind the White Veil


    I've read this book just once before and I recall having mixed feeling about it. I was excited at first to see Vicki was now working in my hometown of Seattle but the story quickly went to Alaska where it stayed. Although I don't remember very much of this book I do recall finding everything about it unique; the location, mystery, events, characters, and especially the ending. I really thought all that was great but I recall it feeling, like most Vicki Barr books, boring. However I gave it a full 5 stars on GoodReads so lets see if my opinions changed.

- Ok, ok, I don't want to always be yelling "racism!" at all these old books because I know it was a different time and whatever but some things just make me go "what the heck". Now that Vicki is assigned to a run between Washington and Alaska she has been warned by her boss, Ruth Benson, to be aware of "Indian" passengers because, according to her, Native Americans do not discipline their children so the kids will run wild, causing chaos for Vicki. Sure enough on Vicki first flight a Native American child starts cutting his seat-belt with a hunting knife while his parents "proudly" watch. A woman, the wife of a university professor grabs the boys wrist and threatens to spank him. When the parents get upset Vicki worries they'll pull out knives too. Vicki, however, doesn't think anything bad of the woman who threatens, multiple times, to physically punish a child that's not her own.

- I'm on page 19 and I'm struggling to find motivation to continue on. I'm not very interested in finding out about the mysterious hot springs or the share-the-ride stuff. I think a big problem with Vicki Barr books is how long the chapters are, the next chapter isn't until page 30 and just struggling to get through over 10 pages of details and explanations that set up the mystery. I think this whole series would have greatly benefited from being cut into 25 short chapters like Nancy Drew. Some of these books even have 20 page long chapters and it makes them feel never ending.

- Vicki and Max go to eat at Maison Blanc which at the time was a famous Seattle restaurant. Unfortunately the restaurant was burnt down in the 1960's by a burglar so I guess I won't be retracing Vicki's steps through Seattle. Vic also remarks at how steep the Seattle hills are. Always found it strange that San Francisco's hills are legendary whereas Seattle's seem to be kept a shameful secret. They also go to Ivars Acres of Clams and the Chinese room of the Smith Tower, both still open.

- Once the group gets into the valley the story picks up and becomes fascinating. I love how Vicki and Jenny decide to keep optimistic attitudes and be a comfort for everyone else. Also Blair and Alex's distaste for each other really adds to the mystery setting.

- Its a little annoying how Vicki needs Max's approval to leave camp and search for an exit, she's a grown woman. None of the other members of the group require his permission.

- After several meals Jenny throws her paper plate in the fire saying if they ate off them again they'd get ptomaine poisoning. I didn't know what that scary sounding thing was so I looked it up and ptomaine poisoning is what they use to call food poisoning. I love learning old facts like that.

- I like how Vicki and Jenny sort of bond and have a nice friendship. Vicki can confide in Jenny her plans for sleuthing and catching Mordy and Blair, and Jenny doesn't stop her the way Max would. Even though there is a large age gap between them it's not noticeable in their friendship.

- Mordy says he will tell the group where the secret exit is if Max promises not to turn him over to the authorities. Max immediately says no. Is he really going to let 6 people all starve to death because he doesn't want to make a flimsy promise? How stupid.

- Jenny makes a joke about cannibalism but honestly that's kind of a scary thought. If they hadn't gotten out there is a chance that someone selfish like Blair or with a belief in survival like Mordy would resort to it. Or when one of them dies naturally of starvation....it's a horrific thought.

- The ending makes me interested in the next title and although not too long ago I believed I wouldn't read another Vicki Barr title, I think that maybe, far into the future, I wouldn't mind.

    Overall this book is quite good mostly due to its uniqueness. Upon this reading I realized what had intrigued me so much the first time reading and that was the majority of the book taking place in one location. Within the valley the only places they can go are camp, the waterfall, and in the woods. I feel like because of this the book would make a great Nancy Drew style game. I've lowered it down from 5 stars to 4 stars cause the beginning was hard to get through but I am keeping it in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment